Thursday, December 31, 2009

Remembering Christmas


There are so many things I want to remember about Christmas.  So I thought I'd write them down and wrap up the season on the last day of 2009.

  • The lights.  My son was always turning the lights on to the Christmas tree, the wreath, a loose strand on the ground.  They're pretty and festive, so why not? 
  • The cold and the snow.  Sledding that one "snow" day with husband and son was a blast.  I still smile when I think about it. 
  • Santa.  Little man was so excited about Santa.  However, when seeing him in person, he didn't want anything to do with him.  He wouldn't even sit on Santa's lap to get a present.  But he sure thinks Santa is cool!
  • Presents.  Giving them, of course!  I loved setting up the stockings and presents this year and having a child who was truly excited and didn't know what would be coming Christmas morning!  I loved surprising husband and son and having everything so special for them. (The big surprise was the marble machine I bought for them to play with together.)  I also made lots of fun presents (which, no, I don't have pictures of!) I think my favorite part is seeing the recipient's face when he/she opens it. 
  • Christmas Eve.  This is the first year that we've been able to have Christmas at our own home and sleep in our own beds.  We invited my husband's parents, sister, and brother up for our traditional Christmas Eve meal.  It was a joy to host them for my favorite part of Christmas.  We set up luminarios, had Candlelight dinner salad, white chicken chili, and risalamande.  Afterwards we put on a living nativity (or tried to!) and passed out a few presents. 
  • Which leads me to FAMILY!  We were able to do so much with family this year, and although it was stressful, it means a lot that we can be so close and participate in so many activities together.
  • Pistachios.  Little man loves 'em.  And that's what he did the whole time Santa was at our family get-together. Ate pistachios and cookies. 
  • Being in Young Women's.  Earlier this year I was called to be an advisor in my ward's YW.  There are only a few girls so I teach all of them and I absolutely love being with them.  We gave a small Christmas tree to a man in our ward at the beginning of the month.  They have such beautiful spirits and I learn so much from them.  One of them said, after doorbell ditching the presents on his doorstep, "I feel so happy."  That's the reason for Christmas, to serve others through the light of Christ.  I appreciated their examples. 
I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting.  I think most of all I want to remember how blessed I am though.  It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas, and I even tried not to!  We've had a lot of things happen with our house recently that has stressed me out, but the last few days I've reorganized, redecorated, and taken a little more control of what is happening and I feel incredibly blessed once again.  My goal for the New Year is to play more, to love more, and to live more.  (And TRY not get caught up in the stress of life!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: